Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Steampunk Challenge: Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook



The Particulars: Steampunk, Berkley, available in print and as e-book
The Source: Purchased at Kobo
The Grade : A
The blurb:
Note: This blurb is the official one, but it  contain spoilers for Iron Duke.
As the mercenary captain of the Lady Corsair, Yasmeen has learned to keep her heart as cold as steel, her only loyalty bound to her ship and her crew. So when a man who once tried to seize her airship returns from the dead, Yasmeen will be damned if she gives him another opportunity to take control.
Treasure-hunter Archimedes Fox isn’t interested in the Lady Corsair — he wants her coldhearted captain and the valuable da Vinci sketch she stole from him. To reclaim it, Archimedes is determined to seduce the stubborn woman who once tossed him to a ravenous pack of zombies, but she’s no easy conquest.
When da Vinci’s sketch attracts a dangerous amount of attention, Yasmeen and Archimedes journey to Horde-occupied Morocco — and straight into their enemy’s hands. But as they fight to save themselves and a city on the brink of rebellion, the greatest peril Yasmeen faces is from the man who seeks to melt her icy heart…

The Review:

This is the second book in the Iron Seas series. I read The Iron Duke and enjoyed it. This one? Was better. Set in the same world, filled with zombies, bugs, and the Horde. I am not sure why I liked it better? Maybe it because it lacks the save the world mentality? The stakes is still high, for all of them but it is in't on save the world level.
I enjoyed the fast paced adventure, the way it started with a bang and never slowed down. Or at least it felt like that. I am sure it was a slow paragraph here and there.
I loved the way everything felt connected, and that both Yasmeen and Archimedes had things at stakes.
But what I really loved with this book was the characters. The snarky banter between Archimedes and Yasmine. The sensual tension between them.
I also loved that there was so many different kinds of characters. From jackasses, to traitors, to rough brawlers, to smart women, and curious boys.
Most of all there goes a thread of loyalty through the book. In so many ways.


I loved this book in so many ways, and I regret that I waited so long with purchasing it. The only thing that bugged me were in the beginning Archimedes said intended to fall in love with her. I could have accepted seduce, since it would have fit better. On the other hand, after finishing the book, I can understand why he intended to do that, but it still bugged me. 




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...